Troubleshooting 3g rotary: no sound from speaker when dialing.

Discuss building and using the 3G rotary cell phone kit. If you're seeking help or would like to help others, this is the place to post.
Frend

Troubleshooting 3g rotary: no sound from speaker when dialing.

Post by Frend »

Hello all.

Thank you for the good posts on the forum, this is a real gem.

My hangup is as follows;

There is no sound from the soeaker when I'm using the dial.

Have any of you had trouble with getting the dial tones to work when assembling the 3g rotary phone?

I am using a prepopulated board. I am a novice at electronics and soldering. I am getting the LED dial sequence and the FONA is blinking as described in the build notes, so it ought to be connected.

Is there a neat way to check that the speaker works?

I am using the Lineman buttdial.

Any thoughts on the problem are welcomed.

SteveC

Re: Troubleshooting 3g rotary: no sound from speaker when dialing.

Post by SteveC »

This is for un-modified boards and Justine's April 2020 firmware:

This should help users unable to apply the FONA Tx pin re-wire mod.

The problem is that FONA auto baud rate detection is unreliable, resulting in failure to set the correct baud rate and the FONA not receiving the tone commands.

If you search the Internet for 'FONA3G_setbaud.ino' you can find Ladyada's method and comments: "...since the FONA 3G does not do auto-baud very well, this demo fixes the baud rate to 4800 from the default 115200". Well put!

I made bare minimum modifications to Justine's firmware to fix this:
Firmware for un-modified boards

This firmware fixes:
  1. Sets FONA baud rate to 4800 (non-volatile) without relying on auto baud rate detection.
  2. Sets the receive pin for FONA data back to input after a display update (hack).
  3. Fixes no tone for dialled zero.
Note (2) is a hack because the ATmega will crash if the display updates while the FONA Tx pin sends data (I've covered this elsewhere). Fortunately this firmware only updates the display while recalling names/numbers from memory.

Frend

Post by Frend »

Thank you SteveC.

I will give your firmware a shot.

I will let you know how it goes.

Frend

Post by Frend »

Hello,

I have downloaded your bootloader files. As I am trying to burn them to the board I get the following error message;

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: stk500v2_program_enable(): bad AVRISPmkII connection status: Unknown status 0x00
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

- Any ideas on where the problem might lie? All ideas are welcomed and the help is much appreciated.

Frend

Post by Frend »

Upon closer examination of the programmer in Justines youtube video I realized I am missing the ICSP10 adapter for the AVR-ISP.

I will acquire one and retry the programmming.

SteveC

Post by SteveC »

I blame the Lineman buttdial myself ;)

Seriously, while waiting for the adapter, you might want to see if (big if) there is already a bootloader (e.g. if you bought a ready made board). If so you can program via the main board USB socket. The only way to know is by trying.

I just use the ISP port to program the bootloader then I always upload firmware via USB. But there's nothing wrong with uploading firmware through the ISP as Justine does, these are two equally valid methods.

Excellent video guide isn't it? I'm not signed up to YouTube, I never will, but if I did I would be sure to subscribe to Justine's channel :lol:
Good advice; when in doubt, watch the video!

I'd like to know how you get on - good luck.

SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Seriously, while waiting for the adapter, you might want to see if (big if) there is already a bootloader (e.g. if you bought a ready made board). If so you can program via the main board USB socket. The only way to know is by trying.
I'm sorry, I was talking nonsense! I was checking the MightyCore GitHub pages and saw by default if an LED is connected to B7 it will double flash when the bootloader starts. By coincidence (or clever design) B7 (aka D13 or ATmega pin 26) is connected to the status LED.

Want to know if your board has a valid bootloader? Simply plug a computer host into the phone via USB while the board is powered on. If the status LED flashes once briefly followed by three double flashes in quick succession, you have a working bootloader and can upload firmware via USB without special programming hardware.

You would think I would have noticed this already, I just hadn't realised it was the bootloader signalling.